Saturday 28 June 2008

Guadalajara to Houston

Not much to report today as it was all spent traveling.

This is not a theme park, just a tiny wheel to attract drivers as they travel to the airport.

I'm not sure which route our taxi driver was taking, here's us going past Windsor Castle

We eventually made it to the airport and here was our little plane to take us to Houston. The flight was alright but I felt a bit sorry for the one lady cabin crew. She was very bored and had to put up with a couple of dicks being above their station who thought they could ignore the rules, walking up and down the plane when they weren't supposed to etc. What made it even worse was that these people were quite old, well dressed and looking quite wealthy. I guess being on such a small plane with no business class put them out of their element.

It was also at Guadalajara airport where I got stopped for taking sun cream in my hand luggage even though it had been fine for every flight prior. Oops.

A short while after landing we got through immigration, which I'm never comfortable with. On this time they played some new video welcoming us to America. It was very cheesy but helped to pass the time. The wonderful TSA had also gone through my luggage and left me a note telling me. I wonder if I was a mousetrap salesman, whether they'd be so keen to search my luggage?

From the airport it was a bus ride to the hotel which as you can see wasn't far from the Toyota Center. I had been hoping to go to a sporting event there but there was nothing on for the two days we were staying there. Ah well.

So we used the Houston days as an opportunity to relax before the club trip got underway, which would be a little more intense. Having never experienced Hooters, Jeppe was keen to go, and so after a short cab ride we ate there. In fact we over did it - the portions were massive and there was no way we could manage a starter and main, which we only realised after it had arrived.

Later that night we both got food poisoning. Having played it safe in Mexico, where people usually get it, it was ironic that on our first night in the states we both fell victim. What we couldn't also figure out was that we'd both got it even though we'd ordered different food. It wasn't until a few days later that we were made aware of a bad crop of tomatoes giving people salmonella and we came to the conclusion that as we both had a couple of slices within our salad that it must have been that. Great! Actually it became quite a news story with over 1,000 people in 30 states reporting symptoms.

No comments: